Discovering efficient methods to encourage healthcare suppliers (HCP) to alter their conduct in the direction of a specific resolution or perception they embrace is a serious problem.1 Behavioral theories that tried to know mechanisms of HCP’s conduct change, for instance, social cognitive theories that emphasize the significance of particular person angle to alter intention processes,2 or different financial theories that promote monetary incentives to alter conduct,3,4 didn’t achieve explaining healthcare suppliers’ (HCP) conduct or proposing a legitimate framework to attain the specified change.
Totally different theories sometimes concentrate on totally different issues in conduct change course of; subsequently, they’re doubtlessly complementary. Nonetheless, utilizing a mix of theories to know conduct or to advertise a conduct change associated to resolution making stays an exception relatively than the rule.5 Few important cross-theoretical frameworks have been proposed which are meant to facilitate the understanding of a well being conduct change whereas integrating totally different theories that makes an attempt to handle change from totally different views. The Levels of Readiness to Change (SOC)6 is likely one of the few examples that identifies the complementary nature of theories explaining well being behaviors and introduces the idea of SOC that gives a framework that allows such integration.7
One of many areas that the SOC framework might be utilized is dentists’ participation in Medicaid program. Though the components associated to dentists’ participation in Medicaid have been investigated in lots of research for the reason that early Nineteen Eighties,8–14 no strategy thus far has been efficient in growing participation past its present ranges. One purpose is that taking part in Medicaid is a difficult activity requiring complicated adjustments in scientific routines, higher collaboration amongst practices, adjustments in sufferers’ conduct, or adjustments within the group of care.6
The opposite purpose might be that no research have used theoretical fashions to explain or clarify suppliers’ intentions associated to participation in Medicaid. Merely classifying suppliers into those that take part in Medicaid and people who don’t oversimplifies the decision-making continuum and neglects the excellence between non-participants who’re contemplating change and non-participants who usually are not contemplating change. On the opposite aspect, utilizing a reductive classification ignores the distinction between members who’re happy of their participation and people who are considering of quickly quitting this system. Though Medicaid advertising and marketing campaigns might goal all these suppliers indiscriminately, their success isn’t assured till they aim the suppliers at totally different Levels of Readiness to Change with interventions, methods, and instruments tailor-made to these phases.6
Our earlier work15 investigating components associated to dentists’ selections to just accept new Medicaid sufferers of their observe used an progressive strategy to elicit hidden drivers. Outcomes from that examine confirmed that sufferers’ punctuality in displaying up for appointments and the convenience of Medicaid claims processing had been as necessary as reimbursement charges. Nevertheless, to make use of these outcomes successfully in selling the participation in Medicaid, we want a behavioral mannequin that gives theoretical assumptions in regards to the steps that professionals and organizations in healthcare should take to attain the meant adjustments.
The SOC posits that behavioral change is a course of, and people might be distinguished all through the method primarily based on their intentions to alter. Amongst healthcare suppliers, the SOC people differ in accordance with the professionals’ and groups’ consciousness of and motivation to carry out a selected conduct. Every stage is ruled by various factors and requires totally different methods and theories for change. Thus, figuring out totally different phases of readiness to alter will naturally lead higher design of various interventions and methods to alter conduct.6
Within the SOC, pre-action phases embody Pre-contemplation throughout which the person doesn’t intend to undertake the standards conduct within the close to future; Contemplation, throughout which the person is aspiring to undertake the standards conduct throughout the close to future, and Preparation, when the person is actively contemplating adoption of the standards conduct within the rapid future.7 Motion phases embody Motion, throughout which the person has adopted the conduct change within the current previous however the adjustments usually are not properly established, and the Upkeep stage, throughout which the person has adopted the standards conduct and is working to maintain the change.16
The SOC mannequin means that persons are thought to progress by way of the 5 phases at various charges, usually shifting forwards and backwards alongside the continuum a number of instances earlier than attaining the aim of upkeep. Relapse is an occasion that terminates the motion or upkeep phases prompting a cyclic motion again by way of the preliminary phases (all 5 phases). To handle the chance of relapse that will happen at any level within the earlier phases, a examine that assessed readiness to stick to antiviral remedy added the “Danger of relapse” stage to the earlier 5 phases.20
This examine got here to establish dentists’ totally different SOC to take part in Medicaid at a state degree, (Pre-contemplation, Contemplation, Preparation, Motion, Upkeep, and Danger of relapse)
The particular targets of this examine had been:
- Categorizing major care dentists within the State of Iowa into the six phases of SOC, Precontemplation, Contemplation, Preparation, Motion, Upkeep and Danger of relapse.
- Evaluating dentists’ observe traits among the many totally different phases of SOC.
- Evaluating dentists’ Altruism scale among the many totally different phases of SOC.
- Evaluating dentists’ angle about Program administration and Medicaid sufferers among the many totally different phases of SOC.
- Evaluating dentists notion of the significance of Medicaid issues among the many totally different phases of SOC.
- Proposing totally different interventions to maneuver dentists from one stage to a different among the many totally different phases of SOC to maximise Medicaid participation.
Figuring out the stage/phases that almost all of dentists belong to will assist in designing interventions that focus on the most important proportion of suppliers at a state degree. SOC can be utilized as a template on which to map, set up, and synthesize quite a lot of disparate theories of persuasion and conduct change and embody particular strategies for discrete communication marketing campaign interventions.6
As well as, if suppliers are evenly distributed over multiple section, this segmentation will assist coverage makers determine the place to speculate their restricted assets, in these on the margin of change or probably to alter, or those that usually are not contemplating change in any respect within the foreseen future.
Latest research in train17 and diabetes care18 have discovered that tailor-made interventions primarily based on SOC are more practical than conventional approaches that target the premise that people are at all times prepared to alter. Amongst healthcare suppliers, tailoring methods to a person supplier’s readiness to alter has been proposed to boost the effectivity of guideline implementation and counseling actions.19,20
Knowledge for the present evaluation was extracted from a mail survey (Appendix 1) to all major care dentists (basic dentists GDs and pediatric dentists PDs) engaged in non-public observe within the state of Iowa in 2013 (n=1101).21 Dentists’ mailing addresses had been obtained from the Iowa Dentist Monitoring System, which maintains details about all licensed dentists within the state.22 The survey was modified from a earlier model developed by the College of Iowa Public Coverage Heart and School of Dentistry.23 The brand new model was pretested for format and content material validity with members of the Dental Security Internet in Iowa (DSNI) Undertaking’s nationwide advisory committee, which included representatives from organized dentistry, educational specialists, dental security web suppliers and authorities businesses (https://ppc.uiowa.edu/health/study/dental-safety-net-iowa-dsni-project). Members obtained iterative variations of the survey and offered suggestions through cognitive interviews. The College of Iowa Institutional Overview Board (IRB) accepted the protocol for this challenge, together with the survey questionnaire.
Dentists demographic information resembling dentists’ age and intercourse had been obtained from the Iowa Dentist Monitoring System. The present survey collected information about dentists’ practices resembling, dentists’ observe preparations (for instance, solo versus group observe) and perceived workload throughout the earlier 12 months.
A collection of survey questions had been used to construct composite variables that measured,1) altruistic attitudes amongst dentists, 2) attitudes about Medicaid program administration, 3) attitudes about Medicaid enrollees and 4) notion of Medicaid program’s issues.21 Dentists had been requested to point, on a 4-point scale, the diploma to which they disagreed or agreed with every assertion (1: strongly disagree, 4: strongly agree). These statements had been tailored from a earlier survey offered to dental college students24 that in flip was modeled on a examine of attitudes towards social duty amongst medical college students.25 Greater scores within the 4 scales indicated extra altruistic attitudes, extra constructive attitudes towards the Medicaid affected person inhabitants, extra constructive attitudes about Medicaid administration and higher significance of the impression of Medicaid’s issues on resolution to take part in this system. Extra details about the earlier scales and their validity might be present in our earlier printed work.21
The SOC Algorithm Improvement
A SOC algorithm (Figure 1) was developed to evaluate, the place attainable, willingness of dentists to just accept new Medicaid kids sufferers and to evaluate SOC phases of change. A complete of 6 phases that embody the 5 phases of SOC26 (pre-contemplation, contemplation, preparation, motion, and upkeep) and the “ Relapse Danger”16,20 had been assigned for major dental care suppliers’ (basic dentists and pediatric dentists) participation in Medicaid.
Determine 1 Stage of change (SOC) algorithm.
To quantify present Medicaid participation, this query was requested: “Do you at present settle for new Medicaid sufferers?”. Three attainable solutions had been offered: 1)“None”, indicating no participation, 2) “Sure, some new”, indicating restricted participation (LP), and three) “Sure, all new”, indicating full participation (FP).
To evaluate the dentists’ readiness to take part, preserve, or stop Medicaid, a staging algorithm was used (Figure 1). This technique is taken into account the only approach for assessing SOC phases. On this format, suppliers are introduced with a collection of 4–5 questions and assigned to discrete phases primarily based on their responses.27 For that objective, the next questions had been requested: “Do you at present settle for new Medicaid sufferers?”, “Are you critically interested by beginning to settle for all new or some new Medicaid sufferers within the subsequent yr?”, “Are you planning to just accept all new or some new Medicaid sufferers within the subsequent 6 months?”, “About how lengthy have you ever been accepting some new Medicaid sufferers in your observe?”, “How sure are you that you’ll proceed accepting all/some new Medicaid sufferers regularly within the subsequent yr?”.
Motion, Upkeep, and Relapse threat phases had been introduced for restricted (LP) and full (FP) members. Dentists within the “Motion” stage weren’t assessed for relapse, as a result of it’s untimely for them to judge this expertise. Solutions to the algorithm questions had been measured by “Sure/ No” nominal variable. Figure 1.
The SOC algorithm used on this examine was tailored from earlier research28 and went by way of pre-testing earlier than implementation by cognitive Interviewing and pilot testing. Cognitive interviewing is a way generally used to pre-test survey devices developed by the Nationwide Heart for Well being Statistics (NCHS) of the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC), the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and the Census Bureau.29 Cognitive interviews had been performed by the challenge’s nationwide advisory committee. Consultants had been interviewed whereas filling out and after finishing the check instrument to establish potential issues encountered with terminology, ambiguous data, or query format. We used each concurrent and retrospective “assume aloud” interviews, in addition to probes, to find out how the members arrive at their solutions. The interviews had been performed utilizing beforehand printed methods.29 Cognitive interview pointers don’t specify the variety of interviews which are wanted for pre-testing, but it surely has been suggest that not more than 12–15 to be performed on one model of an instrument.29 Suggestions might develop into redundant after solely 5 interviews.30 The ultimate algorithm was even be examined in a small group of personal dentists (15 dentists from a neighboring state) throughout a pilot check previous to the examine.
Means and frequencies had been carried out on the supplier and observe traits information. Knowledge about basic traits of Iowa major care dentists obtained from the Iowa Dentists monitoring system31 was used to detect any response bias in our pattern. Descriptive statistics had been generated to summarize the proportion of topics in pre-contemplation, contemplation, preparation, motion, upkeep, and threat of relapse phases for willingness to just accept new Medicaid kids. For evaluation consideration, members in (FL) and (PT) had been mixed collectively and the six SOC had been mixed into 4 important phases, Pre-contemplation, Contemplating, Performing, and At Danger (Figure 2).
Determine 2 Levels of readiness to alter framework.
The 4 phases of SOC (Dependent variables): “Pre-contemplation”, “Contemplating, “Performing” and “At Danger” had been in contrast utilizing ANOVA and Submit hoc Tukey’s check amongst observe traits (% of Medicaid reimbursement and % of Medicaid participation) and the 4 composite scales of Dentists Altruism, Angle about Program Administration, Angle about Medicaid Sufferers and Notion of Significance of Medicaid Issues Scale. A significance degree of 0.05 for all speculation checks. All Bivariable evaluation was performed by utilizing statistical software program (SPSS Statistics, model 21; IBM). Lacking responses had been handled as lacking values in evaluation. Patterns of lacking responses to attitudinal statements had been examined amongst dentists on the idea of Medicaid participation; checks right here didn’t reveal any statistically important proof of response bias on the idea of age or intercourse (P > 0.05).
Of the 1101 eligible major care dentists, 651 accomplished and returned the unique survey (response price of 59%). Survey respondents had been comparable with the general inhabitants of basic dentists in age and intercourse. Nevertheless, survey respondents had been considerably extra more likely to be solo practitioners (65% versus 53% of all basic dentists; P < 0.001). Within the present evaluation, solely dentists who had been primarily accountable for making the choice whether or not their dental observe would settle for Title 19 sufferers (N=514) had been included.
Eighty-one p.c of the pattern had been males and 59% had been older than 50 years (Age Imply= 51 ±11.5) and 64% had been solo practitioners. Eighty p.c practiced in Metropolitan areas and 14% in rural/small cities. Fifty-seven p.c had comfy workload and 24% had been too busy and overworked. Fifty-four p.c had a private gross product greater than $500,000, with a median of $34,500 reimbursed from Medicaid in yr 2011 (Min=0, Max=500,000). A median of 10% of practices’ present sufferers had been Title 19 (Min=0, Max=90%). Extra details about pattern demographic and observe traits might be present in Table 1.
Desk 1 Demographic and Follow Traits of Dentists within the Research Pattern
The present pattern scored on a scale from 1 to 4 a median of two.68 ±0.53 on Dentist Altruism scale, 2.47±0.58 on Attitudes about Medicaid Sufferers scale, 2.04 ±0.67 on Attitudes about Medicaid Administration scale and three.1± 0.47 on Perceptions of Issues with the Medicaid program.
Levels of Readiness to Change (SOC)
5 hundred dentists accomplished the SOC algorithm. In accordance with the algorithm proposed on this examine, 12% of our pattern (n=59) had been within the “Performing” stage, and 46% (n=230) had been within the “In danger” stage. Dentists in each phases, “Performing” and “In danger”, are already Medicaid members (289 out of 500). “Pre-considering” stage included 36% (n=182) of our pattern and 6% (n=29) had been within the ”Contemplating” stage. This exhibits that 211 dentists in our pattern weren’t Medicaid members. Distribution of dentists within the 4 SOC are proven in Figure 3.
Determine 3 Dentists in several phases of readiness to alter.
Follow traits had been in contrast among the many 4 SOC. Amongst program members, dentists in “Performing Stage” had extra reimbursement cash from Medicaid (M= $84,000 ±10,000) up to now yr than dentists in “In danger” stage (M=52,000 ±7000); F= 22.7, p < 0.0001. As well as, dentists in “Performing” stage had extra % of present Title 19 sufferers (M=21% ± 23) than dentists in “In danger” stage (M=13% ± 12), F=30, p < 0.0001.
Dentists in “Pre-considering “ stage scored considerably decrease scores on Dentists Altruism scale than “Contemplating”, “Performing” and “In danger”. As anticipated, dentists in “Performing” stage had the very best rating on this scale; nevertheless, this distinction was statistically important with dentists in “Pre-considering” stage solely. Knowledge about Altruism scale within the 4 SOC might be present in Table 2
Desk 2 Imply Values of Dentists Altruism Scale within the Totally different SOC
Angle about Medicaid administration was most constructive within the “Performing” stage and differed considerably than different phases. The bottom scores had been amongst dentists in “Pre-considering” stage however not statistically important than in “Contemplating” stage. Dentists in “In danger stage” scored considerably larger than dentists in “ Pre-considering “ stage however much like the scores of dentists in “Contemplating” stage. Angle about Medicaid administration scale is proven in Table 3. Scores on dentists’ angle in the direction of Medicaid sufferers weren’t considerably totally different between SOC (Table 4).
Desk 3 Imply Values of Dentists’ Angle In direction of Program Administration Scale within the Totally different SOC
Desk 4 Imply Values of Dentists’ Angle About Medicaid Sufferers Scale within the Totally different SOC
Notion of the significance of Medicaid issues its affect on dentists’ resolution to just accept new Medicaid sufferers was the least within the “Performing” stage and essentially the most in “Pre-considering” and “Contemplating” phases. Table 5 present the scores of the notion of the significance of Medicaid issues scale.
Desk 5 Imply Values of Dentists’ Notion of Significance of Medicaid s Scale within the Totally different SOC
This text suggests an progressive software of a well known methodology that’s used traditionally to elucidate human decision-making course of on dentists’ resolution to just accept Medicaid sufferers. The usage of SOC because the theoretical framework on this examine was distinctive and the primary of its form in dental literature.
The power of this mannequin, which can’t simply be achieved by different conventional surveying instruments is its capacity to: 1) distinguish between Medicaid non-participating dentists who’re contemplating future Medicaid participation (conduct change) and people who usually are not considering in any respect about this step, and a pair of) distinguish between present Medicaid dentists who’re happy with this system and dentists who’re going through challenges and contemplating quitting this system. This distinction is necessary as a result of it could assist match essentially the most applicable intervention to every stage of readiness to alter. The SOC framework means that not solely is the character of the intervention necessary, however a person’s stage of readiness, or receptiveness, can be essential to its success.
Proof from earlier analysis that used SOC as a framework for conduct change might be tailored to dentists and goal totally different phases of their readiness to take part in Medicaid (Figure 4), some examples are:
- Precontemplation Stage: In our examine, 36% of dentists had been within the “Pre-contemplation” stage. Which means greater than one-third of our pattern weren’t even contemplating Medicaid participation. In accordance with the literature on the SOC mannequin, this inhabitants can profit from interventions that focus on processes resembling consciousness-raising and self-reevaluation32 to encourage dentists in these early phases.
- Contemplating Stage: 6% of our pattern had been within the “Contemplating” stage. Dentists at this stage might be focused by interventions that modify the observe setting, administration, and administration. Theses intervention can have the potential to provoke the specified change and motivates dentists to begin accepting new Medicaid sufferers. These interventions ought to goal dentists and workplace employees collectively to supply an setting conducive to alter.32,33 Coaching employees on the Medicaid program administration and paperwork might additionally facilitate this alteration.32,33
- Performing Stage: 12% of our pattern had been within the “Performing” stage. These dentists are already motivated, thus they will profit from methods that target assets assist to maintain their engagement.32–34
- At Danger: Almost half of the dentists in our examine had been recognized as being susceptible to discontinuing Medicaid participation. Interventions that handle dentists’ challenges and supply them with instruments to beat these points might be required right here. These dentists had the bottom scores within the “Angle in the direction of Medicaid Sufferers” scale, which means that sufferers’ conduct is a problem for these dentists to keep up their dedication to this inhabitants. A earlier examine by our authors that used conjoint evaluation to know components associated to dentists’ resolution to just accept Medicaid sufferers discovered that sufferers who didn’t present to their to their appointments commonly or didn’t adjust to oral hygiene directions considerably decreased dentists’ willingness to just accept new Medicaid sufferers.15 Methods to enhance appointment-keeping behaviors embody care coordination care, together with social providers like transportation or childcare. Lastly, in danger dentists reported fewer Medicaid sufferers of their observe, suggesting much less expertise with this inhabitants. Because of this, dentists could also be not well-prepared to offer care to Medicaid enrollees compared to dentists within the Performing stage.
Determine 4 Interventions that assist dentists to maneuver between totally different SOC to maximise Medicaid participation.
In abstract, virtually half of this pattern had been susceptible to quitting Medicaid and greater than one-third usually are not contemplating participation. The information used within the present evaluation was collected in 2013. Since then, giant scale adjustments to the Medicaid program in Iowa have taken place. Thus, estimates of Medicaid participation described on this article possible have modified.
One important change that occurred in Iowa state since information assortment for this examine was the Iowa Well being and Wellness Plan in 2014, which is an growth plan of the Medicaid program to incorporate grownup advantages and extra incentives for wholesome behaviors.35 Though, dentists’ participation within the new model didn’t differ considerably than the older model as cited by a 2019 examine,35 predictors to participation within the two applications diverse primarily based on the totally different construction and administration of the 2 variations.
It will be fascinating to longitudinally assess the sample of Medicaid participation in its two variations and the impression of coverage adjustments on participation phases by evaluating our findings with more moderen information from this inhabitants. Nevertheless, our important aim was to evaluate the feasibility of making use of the SOC framework to elucidate dentists’ attitudes and behaviors, to not quantify their participation in this system.
This examine is the primary of its form to use SOC mannequin to dentists’ decision-making course of. Categorizing dentists utilizing SOC has necessary implications for programmatic interventions. For instance, policymakers focusing on our examine inhabitants might focus their efforts on decreasing the chance of dentists dropping out of this system, with much less emphasis focusing on dentists within the precontemplation stage.
In conclusion, data gleaned from this examine can be utilized in interventions to enhance dentists’ participation within the Medicaid program. The SOC mannequin, used because the conceptual framework for this examine, theorizes that interventions to alter conduct can’t be utilized universally. Dentists first have to be screened to establish readiness to alter. Then, applicable interventions to focus on conduct change might be proposed. For instance, a big proportion of revenue amongst our dentists within the “Performing“ stage got here from Medicaid sufferers. Thus, aggressive reimbursement charges and customary costs on a key set of providers might be tempting to maintain their participation.32–34 Nevertheless, periodic reimbursement price evaluation and updates, together with simplification of administrative necessities, and care coordination providers for beneficiaries can be more practical in retaining dentists who’re in danger.32–34 Direct outreach to dentists to construct participation is usually a good approach to introduce this system advantages for dentists who’re pre-contemplative.34
SOC, phases of change; HCP, healthcare suppliers; NCHS, Nationwide Heart for Well being Statistics; CDC, Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention; FP, full participation; LP, restricted participation; GP, basic dentists; PD, pediatric dentists.
Knowledge Sharing Assertion
The datasets generated and/or analyzed throughout the present examine usually are not publicly accessible as a result of it belongs strictly to the College of Iowa Public Coverage Heart, however can be found from the corresponding writer on cheap request.
Ethics Approval and Consent to Take part
Previous to information assortment, an ethics approval from the College of Iowa Institutional Overview Board (ID# 2012-07782) was obtained. Dentists’ participation was voluntary and confidential. Knowledgeable consent kinds had been collected from all members on this examine. This examine has been performed in full accordance with the World Medical Affiliation Declaration of Helsinki.
All authors made a big contribution to the work reported, whether or not that’s within the conception, examine design, execution, acquisition of knowledge, evaluation and interpretation, or in all these areas; took half in drafting, revising or critically reviewing the article; gave remaining approval of the model to be printed; have agreed on the journal to which the article has been submitted; and conform to be accountable for all points of the work.
This challenge was supported by the Zamalah Fellowship Program, a tutorial improvement program for larger edication in Palestine, and an Innovation Fund for Oral Well being award to the College of Iowa Public Coverage Heart from the DentaQuest Basis. Neither funder had a task within the design, assortment, evaluation, or interpretation of knowledge or in writing the manuscrip
The authors declare that they don’t have any competing pursuits on this work.
1. Grimshaw JM, Eccles MP, Lavis JN, Hill SJ, Squires JE. Information translation of analysis findings. Implement Sci. 2012;7:50. doi:10.1186/1748-5908-7-50
2. Ajzen I. The speculation of deliberate conduct. Organ Behav Hum Decis Course of. 1991;50(2):179–211. doi:10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
3. Laffont JJ, Martimort D. The speculation of incentives: the principal-agent mannequin. Princeton College Press; 2002. JSTOR. Out there from: www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctv7h0rwr.
4. Becker GS. The Financial Strategy to Human Habits. Chicago: College of Chicago Press; 1976.
5. Westat Inc. The CDC well being communication program database.
6. Slater M. Integrating software of media results, persuasion, and conduct change theories to communication campaigns: a stages-of-change framework. Well being Commun. 1999;11:335–354. doi:10.1207/S15327027HC1104_2
7. Arthur AB, Kopec JA, Klinkhoff AV, et al. Readiness to handle arthritis: a pilot examine utilizing a stages-of-change measure for arthritis rehabilitation. Rehabil Nurs. 2009;34(2):64–84. doi:10.1002/j.2048-7940.2009.tb00250.x
8. Hughes RJ, Damiano PC, Kanellis MJ, Kuthy R, Slayton R. Dentists’ participation and youngsters’s use of providers within the Indiana dental Medicaid program and SCHIP: assessing the impression of elevated charges and administrative adjustments. J Am Dent Assoc. 2005;136(4):517–523. doi:10.14219/jada.archive.2005.0209
9. Milgrom P, Riedy C. Survey of Medicaid youngster dental providers in Washington state: preparation for a advertising and marketing program. J Am Dent Assoc. 1998;129(6):753–763. doi:10.14219/jada.archive.1998.0318
10. Im JL, Phillips C, Lee J, Beane R. The north carolina Medicaid program: participation and perceptions amongst training orthodontists. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007;132(2):
11. Al Agili DE, Move MA, Bronstein JM, Lockwood SA. Medicaid participation by non-public dentists in Alabama. Pediatr Dent. 2007;29(4):293–302.
12. Shulman JD, Ezemobi EO, Sutherland JN, Barsley R. Louisiana dentists’ attitudes towards the dental Medicaid program. Pediatr Dent. 2001;23(5):395–400.
13. Blackwelder A, Shulman JD. Texas dentists’ attitudes towards the dental Medicaid program. Pediatr Dent. 2007;29(1):40–46.
14. Damiano PC, Brown ER, Johnson JD, Scheetz JP. Elements affecting dentist participation in a state Medicaid program. J Dent Educ. 1990;54(11):638–643. doi:10.1002/j.0022-0337.1990.54.11.tb02476.x
15. Kateeb ET, McKernan SC, Gaeth GJ, Kuthy RA, Adrianse NB, Damiano PC. Predicting dentists’ selections: a choice-based conjoint evaluation of Medicaid participation. J Public Well being Dent. 2016;76(3):171–178. doi:10.1111/jphd.12126
16. Highstein GR, Willey C, Mundy LM. Improvement of Stage of Readiness and decisional steadiness devices: instruments to boost scientific decision-making for adherence to antiretroviral remedy. AIDS Behav. 2006;10(5):563–573. doi:10.1007/s10461-005-9043-9
17. Jones H, Edwards L, Vallis TM, et al. Modifications in diabetes self-care behaviors make a distinction in glycemic management: the diabetes phases of change (DiSC) examine. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(3):732–737. doi:10.2337/diacare.26.3.732
18. DiClemente CC, Carbonari JP, Velasquez MM. Alcoholism Remedy Mismatching from a Technique of Change Perspective. In: Watson RR, editor. Alcohol Abuse Remedy. Drug and Alcohol Abuse Opinions. Vol. 3. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press; 1992. doi:10.1007/978-1-4612-0363-6_5
19. Important DS, Cohen SJ, DiClemente CC. Measuring doctor readiness to alter most cancers screening: preliminary outcomes. Am J Prev Med. 1995;11(1):54–58. doi:10.1016/S0749-3797(18)30501-4
20. Goldstein MG, DePue JD, Monroe AD, et al. A population-based survey of doctor smoking cessation counseling practices. Prev Med. 1998;27(5 Pt 1):720–729. doi:10.1006/pmed.1998.0350
21. McKernan SC, Reynolds JC, Momany ET, et al. The connection between altruistic attitudes and dentists’ Medicaid participation. J Am Dent Assoc. 2015;146(1):34–41.e3. PMID: 25569496. doi:10.1016/j.adaj.2014.11.014
22. Kuthy RA, McKernan SC, Hand JS, Johnsen DC. Dentist workforce traits in a primarily rural state: iowa: 1997–2007. J Am Dent Assoc. 2009;140(12):1527–1534. doi:10.14219/jada.archive.2009.0105
23. Damiano PC, Kanellis MJ, Willard JC, Momany ET. A Report on the Iowa Title XIX Dental Program.; 1996. Out there from: https://ppc.uiowa.edu/publications/report-iowa-title-xix-dental-program. Accessed July 12, 2021.
24. Brown LJ, Wall TP, Lazar V. Traits in untreated caries in major tooth of youngsters 2 to 10 years outdated. J Am Dent Assoc. 2000;131(1):93–100. doi:10.14219/jada.archive.2000.0027
25. Brown LJ, Wall TP, Lazar V. Traits in caries amongst adults 18 to 45 years outdated. J Am Dent Assoc. 2002;133(7):827–834. doi:10.14219/jada.archive.2002.0296
26. Prochaska JO, DiClemente CC, Norcross JC. Seeking how folks change. Functions to addictive behaviors. Am Psychol. 1992;47(9):1102–1114. doi:10.1037//0003-066x.47.9.1102
27. Prochaska JO, Velicer WF, Rossi JS, et al. Levels of change and decisional steadiness for 12 drawback behaviors. Well being Psychol. 1994;13(1):39–46. doi:10.1037//0278-618.104.22.168
28. Weinstein ND, Lyon JE, Sandman PM, Cuite CL. Experimental proof for phases of well being conduct change: the precaution adoption course of mannequin utilized to house radon testing. Well being Psychol. 1998;17(5):445–453. doi:10.1037//0278-622.214.171.1245
29. Willis GB; Nationwide Heart for Well being Statistics (U.S.). Cognitive Interviewing and Questionnaire Design: A Coaching Handbook. Hyattsville, MD: U.S. Dept. of Well being and Human Companies, Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention, Nationwide Heart for Well being Statistics; 1994.
30. Mobley AR. Analysis of Behavioral Concept and Built-in Web/Phone Applied sciences to Assist Navy Weight problems and Weight Administration Packages. School Park: College of Maryland; 2006.
31. Iowa dentist monitoring system ui carver school of drugs workplace of statewide scientific education schemes. Iowa Well being Skilled Monitoring Heart; 2010.
32. Cohen SJ, Halvorson HW, Gosselink CA. Altering doctor conduct to enhance illness prevention. Prev Med. 1994;23(3):284–291. doi:10.1006/pmed.1994.1040
33. Wendy J. Frosh, Founder and principal of Healthcare Administration Methods. Missouri Basis for Well being (Spring 2017). Out there from: https://mffh.org/wpcontent/uploads/2017/04/Policy-Strategies-to-Enhance-Dentists-Participation-in-Medicaid.pdf.
34. Bezner J, Lloyd LK, Crixell SH, Burke TJ. The well being care supplier’s position in supporting constructive well being conduct change: growing an efficient and supportive communication strategy. Med Res Arch. 2017;5(9). ISSN 2375–1924. Out there type: https://esmed.org/MRA/mra/article/view/1523. Accessed August 04, 2021.
35. Reynolds JC, McKernan SC, Damiano PC, Kuthy RA. A story of two public dental profit applications: iowa dentist participation in conventional Medicaid versus a Medicaid growth program. BMC Oral Well being. 2019;19(1):89. doi:10.1186/s12903-019-0771-z