The Superior Training in Normal Dentistry (AEGD) Program is a completely accredited one-year post-doctoral program in medical dentistry with a didactic element in normal dentistry. The first focus of this program is to enhance the medical abilities taught in an undergraduate dental college program. The medical and didactic coaching and experiences are at a stage of talent and complexity past that achieved in a pre-doctoral program. This system at the moment accepts two residents per yr. Every resident is assigned a contemporary, well-equipped dental operatory and a full-time chair-side dental assistant. The amenities and workers assist all medical, instructional, and analysis actions of this system.
Medical and didactic instruction covers the vary of dental disciplines, emphasizing observe administration and look after the medically compromised and dentally advanced sufferers. Roughly 85% of time will probably be spent offering direct affected person care and 15% will probably be directed towards non-clinical and didactic actions. 95% of our sufferers are out-patients.
As well as, the person resident can determine main areas of curiosity, reminiscent of particular medical disciplines or analysis. Upon passable completion of this system, residents obtain a certificates in Superior Training in Normal Dentistry.
Obligation, Go away, Stipend
Appointment One full yr, beginning roughly the primary week in July (topic to alter)
Clinic Hours 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday
After-Hours Name Obligation
Residents alternate, every protecting each different week Monday-Friday
Annual Go away 10 days (trip)
Accumulates by roughly someday monthly
Sick Go away As much as 7 days
Accumulates by roughly someday each different month
Stipend: Roughly $55,000
Administrative Go away*As much as 5 days
*5 days of official depart could also be accredited to attend skilled conferences and persevering with training programs and to take State Board Examinations. Any tuition or journey prices would be the accountability of the resident.
Clinic and Amenities Description
Dental Clinic: The clinic consists of ten fully-equipped dental operatories and one oral surgical procedure suite. The clinic is supplied with a full complement of recent dental supplies in addition to a computerized affected person document system, digital panoramic and intra-oral radiography, rotary endodontic tools, and dental implant surgical and prosthetic tools. As well as, situated inside the clinic, is an i-CAT cone beam CT scan to be used with advanced instances that require excessive definition 3D diagnostic photos.
Hospital scrubs and lengthy sleeve clinic apparel are offered day by day. The dental laboratory, affected person reception space, workers convention room, loos and locker rooms are situated inside the clinic.
Dental Operatory: Single chair operatory with digital intra-oral radiography, intra-oral digital camera, and particular person laptop station and monitor for physician and assistant.
Dental Lab: In-house dental lab with a full-time CDT who gives a full vary of dental laboratory assist, apart from RPD frameworks and porcelain/ceramic crowns (each are despatched to exterior labs).
Auxiliary Employees: Three full-time dental hygienists, eight full time dental assistants and one full-time receptionist.
VA Amenities: Togus VA Medical Middle is a 67-operating mattress facility with normal medical, surgical, intermediate and psychological well being beds, in addition to a 100 mattress Nursing Dwelling. Opening in October 1866, Togus VAMC is the oldest veterans’ facility within the nation. Togus is situated roughly 4 miles east of Augusta, the state capital. The Togus campus encompasses 500+ acres of buildings and pure woodlands. The primary veteran was admitted to Togus on November 10, 1866. The campus additionally has an indoor gymnasium (with a exercise tools and a heated pool), cafeteria, publish workplace, canteen retailer, ATM machine, chapel and out of doors tennis courtroom, basketball courtroom, softball area and strolling trails.
Dr. Nicholas Sirois, Program Director
DMD: Tufts Univ. College of Dental Medication, 2011
AEGD: VA Maine Healthcare Middle, 2012
Normal Dentistry observe since 2012
Dr. John Coke, Assistant Chief of Dental Service
D.D.S: Emory College, Atlanta, GA 1983
GPR: College of Medication and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ 1984
U.S. Air Drive Dental Corps, 25 years
Normal Dentistry, VA Bangor CBOC since 2013
Dr. Heather Masters
DDS: College of Maryland College of Dentistry, 2013
AEGD: VA Maine Healthcare Middle, 2014
Normal Dentistry, VA Bangor since 2014
Dr. Myra S. Homosexual
DDS: College of Texas Well being Science Middle at San Antonio 1997
AEGD: Ft. Campbell, KY 1998
Normal Dentistry: Togus VAMC 2017
Dr. Alex Gale D.M.D: College of Connecticut College of Dental Medication, 2017
AEGD: Togus VAMC, ME, 2018
Normal Dentistry, Togus VAMC since 2018
Dr. Jennifer Miedema
DMD: College of New England CDM, 2017
AEGD: VAMC Togus, ME, 2017-2018
Normal Dentistry, Togus VAMC since 2018
Dr. Donald Bandy, DDS
D.D.S: College of Texas H.S.C., San Antonio, 1978
GPR: Normal Leonard Wooden Military Hospital, Ft. Leonardwood, MO, 1979
OMFS: Walter Reed Military Medical Middle, 1992
Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 1994
Dr. Michael T. Cwiklinski
DMD: U. of Pennsylvania,
Periodontics: Tufts College
Personal Follow, Portland, ME
Dr. Stephen Morse
DMD: Tufts College,
Periodontics: Boston College
Personal Follow, Portland, ME
Dr. Todd Mellin
DMD: Medical College of South Carolina
Endodontics: Medical School of Virginia
Personal Follow, Portland, ME
Orientation to this system begins the primary week. The resident is launched to dental clinic insurance policies and protocols, medical privileges, computerized affected person document system (CPRS) and different operational particulars of a hospital based mostly dental observe. A Resident’s Guide is offered to function a reference supply for clinic and hospital insurance policies and procedures and for data on dental supplies and tools.
Targets and Goals
The intent of the medical program is to allow the resident to satisfy the next objectives and aims:
- Offering emergency and multidisciplinary complete oral well being care.
- Evaluating, diagnosing, and treating dental emergencies and infections.
- Integrating a number of disciplines into individualized, complete, sequenced therapy plans for sufferers with uncomplicated and complicated wants.
- Acquiring Knowledgeable Consent
- Acquiring knowledgeable consent for dental therapy by discussing with the affected person or guardians of sufferers, the next: analysis, therapy choices, and advantages and dangers of therapy.
- Functioning successfully inside interdisciplinary well being care groups, together with consultations and referrals.
- Consulting with and acquiring medical and diagnostic enter from different well being care suppliers.
- Making referral to different well being care suppliers when applicable
- Offering affected person centered care that’s coordinated by the final practitioner.
- Functioning because the affected person’s main and complete oral well being care supplier.
- Formulating therapy plans which can be suitable with that affected person’s skill to grasp and look after.
- Directing well being promotion and illness prevention.
- Utilizing common precautions and occupational hazard prevention procedures within the observe of dentistry.
- Selling accepted prevention methods to enhance the affected person’s oral well being & general well being.
- Assessing, diagnosing, and planning for multidisciplinary oral well being look after all kinds of sufferers, together with particular wants sufferers.
- Acquiring and deciphering the affected person’s chief grievance and medical, dental and social historical past.
- Acquiring and deciphering diagnostic knowledge to reach at a differential, provisional or definitive analysis for sufferers with advanced medical issues and vital bodily limitations.
- Managing the supply of affected person centered oral well being care.
- Constructing rapport and confidence with sufferers and placing the affected person’s finest curiosity first.
- Offering affected person care by working successfully and effectively with a chairside dental assistant, utilizing four-handed dental methods.
- Working towards efficient time-management throughout dental procedures.
- Operative Dentistry
- Performing operative dentistry utilizing a variety of dental supplies.
- Mounted and Detachable Prosthodontics.
- Changing lacking enamel successfully utilizing detachable partial dentures and full dentures.
- Changing lacking enamel successfully utilizing uncomplicated and sophisticated mounted prosthetics.
- Periodontal Remedy.
- Diagnosing and treating early periodontal illness and average localized periodontal illness utilizing surgical and non-surgical methods.
- Endodontic Remedy
- Performing uncomplicated non-surgical anterior endodontics.
- Performing uncomplicated non-surgical posterior endodontic.
- Oral Surgical procedure
- Performing surgical and non-surgical extraction of enamel.
- Performing uncomplicated pre-prosthetic oral surgical procedure.
- Performing oral comfortable tissue biopsies.
- Surgical placement of uncomplicated dental implants.
- Ache and anxiousness management using behavioral and pharmacological methods
- Utilizing behavioral administration methods to assist in controlling ache and anxiousness.
- Utilizing pharmacological brokers to assist management ache and anxiousness.
- Managing medical emergencies.
- Anticipating, stopping, diagnosing and offering preliminary therapy for medical emergencies which will happen throughout dental therapy.
- Managing dental implant therapy planning, placement and prosthetic restoration.
- Managing oral mucosal ailments through preliminary examination, biopsy, preliminary remedy and referral as wanted.
- Managing TMD and orofacial ache by performing a TMD analysis and preliminary remedy.
The intent of the didactic program is to enrich medical expertise with the next:
- Weekly webinar sequence on varied disciplines of normal dentistry
- Bi-monthly lectures on Periodontics subjects by periodontist marketing consultant
- Month-to-month therapy planning/case presentation periods
- Month-to-month literature assessment periods
- ACLS supplier course
- BLS re-certification
Rotations and Particular Clinics
- Oral Surgical procedure: Direct supervision by an Oral Surgeon two full days monthly.
- Periodontics: Direct supervision by a Periodontist one half-day monthly.
- Follow Administration: Assessment observe administration subjects, one hour each different month.
- Anesthesia Division Rotation: one week
- Group Service Mission
- ENT: One clinic day, one Surgical day
General Targets and aims
- Present the resident with multidisciplinary complete coaching typically dentistry, together with emergency therapy, preventive dentistry and dental therapy modalities that embody most dental disciplines.
- Enhance resident’s competency and confidence whereas caring for all kinds of sufferers, together with these with particular wants.
- Handle supply of affected person care by making use of ideas of affected person and observe administration and high quality enchancment. Perform successfully on this surroundings inside interdisciplinary well being care groups. Make the most of skilled ethics, patient-centered care, adaptability and acceptance of cultural variety in skilled observe.
- Apply scientific ideas to resident training utilizing important considering, evidence-based decision-making and technology-based data retrieval programs.
- Perceive veterans’ oral well being wants and have interaction in group service.
Previous Residents’ Experiences
The next represents an approximation of the chair-side procedures a median resident accomplishes in a single yr.
Complete oral evaluations 50 – 75
Endodontic canals crammed 20 – 30
Full denture items 15 – 20
Detachable partial denture items 15 – 30
Surgical placement of dental implants 0 – 20
Implant supported crowns seated 5 – 15
Easy/Surgical Extractions 200 – 300
Anterior Composite Surfaces 250 – 350
Posterior Composite Surfaces 150 – 250
Alloy Restoration Surfaces 125 – 200
Mounted items (PFM, FGC, Ceramic) 25 – 50
Periodontal surgical procedures 5 – 10
Residents should meet the next necessities:
- Be a citizen of the US
- Be a graduate of a dental college accredited by the American Dental Affiliation.
- Meet licensure necessities essential to be licensed to observe dentistry in any state of the U.S. or District of Columbia. Dental license just isn’t required.
All certified candidates will obtain equal consideration no matter race, coloration, nationwide origin, intercourse, age or sexual orientation.
To use to this program:
- Full an utility on the Postdoctoral Software Assist Service (PASS)
Net Website: American Dental Education Association
- Full VA utility kind ( VA Form 10-2850D) and undergo:
Nicholas Sirois, D.M.D.
VA Maine Well being Care System
Dental Service (160)
1 VA Middle
Augusta, ME 04330
Deadline: Purposes ought to be accomplished no later than October fifteenth.
When all utility supplies have been obtained, interviews and excursions of the clinic and facility will probably be organized by invitation from the Program Director,. These interviews are usually scheduled from November by early December.
*Hyperlinks will take you exterior of the Division of Veterans Affairs Web site.
**Hyperlinks will take you exterior of the Division of Veterans Affairs Web site. VA doesn’t endorse and isn’t accountable for the content material of the linked website online.
You will want the Adobe Acrobat Reader to entry PDF paperwork on this website online. The Adobe Acrobat reader could be downloaded here.